Dear OIS parents,
2015 – 2016 Faculty: I am happy to announce that the recruiting season is over and the major teaching positions for 2015-2016 have been filled. You can find short profiles of the seven new faculty members and the new principal/PYP coordinator here. There are two faculty who were reassigned different positions for next year. Paula Dezem will move along with her students from grade 1 to grade 2. Dawn Inada will move from Kindergarten A to Grade 1. Below is a the list of elementary school homeroom teachers next year.
- ES Principal/PYP Coordinator – Carolyne Marshall
- Kindergarten A – Nadia Kralovec
- Kindergarten B – Wakaba Mori
- Grade 1 – Dawn Inada
- Grade 2 – Paula Dezem
- Grade 3 – Jennifer Egan
- Grade 4 – Lora Vimont
- Grade 5 – Trevor Jones
- ES Music – Daniel Ligon
- K-12 Librarian – Sarah Wakefield
Replacing Angela Hancock will be Jeremy Welburn. Replacing Richard Fitzpatrick will be David Haske. I would also like to give a special welcome to our new Elementary School Principal and PYP Coordinator, Carolyne Marshall.
IB MEXT Higher Education Seminar: Our DP Coordinator Miyuki Endo and OIS Counselor, Melissa Lamug will be attending a seminar in Tokyo hosted by the International Baccalaureate and MEXT (Japanese Ministry of Education) next Tuesday June 3. Keio, Tohuko, Sophia, Osaka, Tsukuba and Okayama universities will be discussing entry for IB diploma programme graduates. The event is part of a movement to increase the number of Japanese universities that will accept DP students.
Fundraising for Nepal: The OIS grade 11 students are selling wristbands, stickers and badges showing our support for Nepal. The funds will be sent to the Lincoln International School in Kathmandu. They will use them for their community efforts.
OIS PTA meeting: The last PTA meeting of the year will take place Wednesday June 3, 2015 at 8:45 AM in the third floor conference room. Following the meeting OIS Technology Director Stephen Frater will be discussing with parents our iPad program and other technology plans from 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM. There will be evening meeting at 5:30 PM – 7:00 PM in the third floor conference room for parents that cannot make it to the morning meeting.
Music Concerts: The middle school and high school bands concert will take place Wednesday June 3 at 4:00 PM in the theatre. The Middle School and High School strings and choir concert will also be taking place on Thursday June 4 at 4:00 PM in the theatre. These concerts give the opportunity for some of our other groups to perform in public.
SOIS K-12 Art Show: The visual arts department will be hosting an exhibition of student work next Thursday and Friday to coincide with some other events that bring many parents to campus. The title of the exhibition is “Rainbow Dreams” and will feature work from all students displayed in the hallways of the school. The opening of the exhibition will take place from 3:00 – 5:00 PM on Thursday June 4. so it can be a “doubleheader” of the fine arts. Please see Jennifer Henbest if you would like to help with the setting up of the exhibition next week.
- Friday June 5 Elementary School no classes – Student-Led Conferences
- Friday June 5 4:00 PM @ theatre/cafeteria High School Athletic Awards
- Monday June 8 9:00 AM @ third floor conference room
- 2015-2016 Kindergarten A Parent Orientation (only next year’s kinder A parents)
- Tuesday June 9 6:30 PM @ Mino City Maple Hall SOIS High School Spring Concert
- Friday June 12 1:00 PM @ pool OIS Elementary School Super Swim Carnival
- Friday June 12 7:00 PM @ theatre OIS High School Graduation Ceremony
- Wednesday June 17 5:00 PM @ third floor conference room
- Grade 5 to Grade 6 Parent Orientation (only grade 5 parents)
- Friday June 19 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM @courtyard Courtyard Music Concert
- Monday June 22 ES Picnic Day
- Tuesday June 23 12:00 noon @ third floor conference room Grade 5 Parent Celebration (only grade 5 parents)
- Tuesday June 23 3:30 PM – 7:30 PM @ courtyard OIS PTA Farewell Party & Movie Night
- Wednesday June 24 Last day of classes for elementary school (half day)
- Wednesday June 24 9:00 AM @ theatre Elementary School End-of-Year Assembly
- Friday June 26 Last day of classes for middle school & high school (half day)
- Friday June 26 8:45 AM @ theatre OIS Middle School / High School Awards Ceremony